Monday, April 4, 2011

God at work .....



"I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work."  God's Decree.
"For as the sky soars high above earth,
   so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
   and the way I think is beyond the way you think.
Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
   and don't go back until they've watered the earth,
Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
   producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
   not come back empty-handed.
They'll do the work I sent them to do,
   they'll complete the assignment I gave them.
"
Isaiah 55:8-11


I read this beautiful passage of scripture the other morning and saw it in a completely new light.  I found myself encouraged with the knowledge that God's ways and thoughts are far "beyond" mine -- AND felt reassured that, even amidst "dormant" times, God is still actively transforming my world - His words completing or accomplishing what He has planned.


The New Living Translation states verse 11 as "It is the same with my word.  I sent it out and it always produces fruit.  It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it".


For those of us who are relying on God's word, the Bible, to shape us and guide us -- we can often find ourselves listening (and willing to yield our hearts) to God, yet waiting for change or spiritual growth.  This may not necessarily be external change which others see, but may well be a heart change -- a greater sense of trust and faith deep within us.  For me the "fruit" I desire most is the steadfast, ongoing confidence in God that, even amidst stormy circumstances, calms me and brings peace.


The first few verses of this passage set the stage....God doesn't think the way I think nor does He work the way I work.  Where I may see circumstances as stagnant and immobile, God may see the situation in a completely different way.  AND... He may be waiting for just the right moment to meet my need, deliver me (or a loved one I'm praying for) and/or provide a clear and direct answer to an ongoing request.


As we move through the seasons of life, there are often times of stretching, growing and yes...... even waiting.  For an impatient, results-oriented person like me....waiting is really really hard.  Lets face it - stretching and growing is hard too!  Sometimes these seasons are more intense and angst-filled than others.  We may find ourselves waiting for positive test results, deliverance from an ugly stronghold, or for a child to reach a milestone the "professionals" said they'd never achieve.  Still others of us wait for a hurt to heal, forgiveness to be granted, resentment to go away, love to arrive, an answer....clear direction, the list goes on and on, doesn't it?


Yet we can be assured that God is at always at work, even amidst the stagnant, waiting time.


We've had enough snow lately for this passage to be very real to me!  And there is no rushing this season - whether it snows or rains (or both) is entirely up to God -- the weather is completely within His control.    I'm waiting for warm, sunny days to arrive.....


Its no wonder that God chooses references to nature to help us understand His ways.  As we experience changing seasons -- each bringing visible growth and change, one providing ideal conditions to usher in the next -- we can clearly see His creativity at work.  Some seasons are cold, dry and sparse, while others are filled with warmth and vibrant color.  Patience with the season's change and the growing process in nature is something absolutely necessary - there is no rushing it!


Any gardener will easily attest to the fact that ideal growing conditions are necessary for healthy plant and flower growth.  Seed dormancy is the natural mechanism or barrier which prevents growth until conditions are appropriate for strong, healthy seedling or plant growth.  This is why hyacinth bulbs planted in autumn remain dormant through winter.  Their vibrant green leaves emerge in the early spring - months of waiting in the cold, hard ground only to grow into a beautiful, fragrant flower - healthy and strong.  Dormancy varies amongst different species of seeds -- vegetable seeds have little to no dormancy while tree seeds have longer periods of dormancy.  Studies have shown that in some tree seeds, signs of life are almost undetectable.  Amazing!


Hmmmm, dormancy - every feel that way?  Just like God has designed nature to follow a process of rest or dormancy, our life circumstances may be the same way -- we may find ourselves or a circumstance showing little or slow progress -- even with no sign of life.  Don't lose hope -- God is always at work, preparing, setting the stage -- patiently allowing us to wait until the conditions are ideal for the next step to take place.


The point here is that God is certainly just as creative and patient with us as He is with nature.  And - those of us who are waiting may be in a period of dormancy during which God is setting up the ideal situation for which to deliver, respond, answer, heal, or provide.


What am I learning?
Well, rather than fret and become inpatient during these waiting or dormant times, I am learning to search out and trust in the promises found in God's Word, the Bible.  I can trust Him (and so can you!) to prepare the ideal conditions on my behalf -- knowing that He is not working or thinking as I do, but that fruit will come, in His time, according to His plan, accomplishing all that He desires.

1 comment:

  1. I am so encouraged after reading this blog today Carol, your analogies relating to waiting for God to do the work that He needs to do in us really meets me where I am currently. The concept of waiting is difficult for me too...but trusting that God is working all things together. This the greatest Hope that Jesus knows much better than I.
    I feel as if I am in a time of "pruning"...sometimes it can be painful - but I know the end result will help me to be the women God sees in me! Thanks so much Carol for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete