Friday, July 29, 2011

How did I get here?



A video link came to my email box this morning that was just what I needed for encouragement today.  Before me are several opportunities and subsequent decisions.  Perhaps you find yourself in the same situation – facing several options or choices – which do you choose?

I often struggle with past decisions made based upon my belief that God was leading me down a particular path.  Then, when that particular path doesn’t seem to lead to where I thought it would, or if the destination looks different than expected, I find myself confused and begin asking all sorts of questions.

Did I “hear” God correctly?

Were my decisions based I upon what I thought to be best? Or was I really listening to God’s leading?

Was I impatient or impulsive (not all that unusual for me!) or did I step forward too quickly?

How did I get here?  It looks totally unfamiliar!  This was not what I had planned.

Author and speaker Beth Moore gives guidance towards these questions in this video recorded at the Catalyst 2010 conference.  It’s only a few minutes long – watching it makes me want to see more.

Catalyst East 2010: Beth Moore from Catalyst on Vimeo.

Just as Beth shares in this video, perhaps I too have been focusing my energies on the destination rather than on my experience with God while on the journey.  She stresses that we are to focus on the One we are following rather than getting caught up in the destination.  

God’s desire is for a relationship with me and with you – He wants us to know Him and trust Him more today than we did yesterday.  Sometimes God may allow us to take a particular journey in order that we experience His love in a new way – the destination may not be important but the journey sure was! 

This has been my experience on more than just a few occasions.  For some of them, I’m thankful that the place I was headed was not where God would have me remain.  Rather, it was the journey to and back from those places that have given me the ability to know Him differently and trust Him more deeply than I ever had before. 

What about you?  Are you on a journey towards a particular destination or goal and now wonder if you are on the right path?  Have you reached a destination that looks completely different than you expected?

I’m learning to refocus my vision on the One who created me -- the One who places desires and dreams in my heart.  Even though I my get sidetracked, distracted — and even disappointed, I won’t be discouraged.  I know that God can handle my regrets, missteps and failures; and that, when I turn to Him, He can and will work out all things for my good and His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment