Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pride, Dignity & Humility




Pride has myriad meanings.  Sometimes it is a healthy, positive feeling -- a sense of pride for belonging to a family, town, school or club; for finally achieving a much sought after accomplishment; or upon reaching an important milestone.   

Pride can also be a feeling of superiority.  One dictionary defined pride as: a high or inordinate opinion of ones own dignity, importance, merit or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing or conduct.    

Hmmmm... sounds a little like thinking more highly of ourselves than we ought.  

“It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels”  -  St. Augustine  

The Bible tells us that pride deceives us (Obadiah 1:3), it breeds quarrels (Proverbs 13:10) and leads us to destruction (Proverbs 16:18).  Furthermore, we learn that God despises pride (Proverbs 8:13) and is opposed to those who are proud (James 4:6).  Clearly this is pride that is self-focused – perhaps even taking the credit ourselves when it belongs to God.    

Sometimes we confuse pride with dignity – I once read that pride is something intentionally projected outwardly and dignity is an attitude held within.    

Dignity can be defined as inherent value or worth.  Upon creation, God gave us inherent dignity.  We were formed in His image (Genesis 1:26) and God places high value upon each and every life.  We are the “Apple of His Eye” (Psalm 17:8) and were created to enjoy life as God’s children, to be a blessing to one another, and to work for His purposes.    

Our dignity is not in what we do, it is based upon who God says we are.  So having a sense of dignity is clearly what God desires.    

The opposite of pride is humility.  Humility produces wisdom (Proverbs 11:2), leads to honor (Proverbs 15:33), and brings peace and prosperity (Psalm 37:11).  God sees the humble (Psalm 138:6) and offers them grace and salvation (Psalm 139:4).  

Humility may often be seen as weakness.  However, pursuing it requires a great deal of supernatural strength and inner discipline.    

“Pride is concerned with who is right, humility is concerned with what is right”
 – Ezra Taft Benson  

Recognizing my pride and choosing to pursue humility is not without challenges.  I can begin by putting others needs first, balancing my personal responsibilities with the pursuit of my dreams, and ascribing the good that comes from my life to God alone.    

Sometimes my pride is a fence that limits intimacy amidst meaningful relationships.  It can be hard (and humbling!) to acknowledge and take responsibility for when my actions have hurt another (without listing all the reasons or excuses for my behavior).    

God’s plan for me (and you too!) is so much more than self-centered, empty pursuits.  When I pursue God-given desires, I live my life around God rather than myself.  When our plans are God-centered, we open the door to opportunity for God to work through us – ultimately reflecting the King of all creation.  

Author and speaker Beth Moore refers to pride as the vicious enemy and humility as a friend.  She shares this poem in one of her books –
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
I cheat you of your God-given destiny…
because you demand your own way.
I cheat you of contentment…
because you “deserve better than this.”
I cheat you of knowledge…
because you already know it all.
I cheat you of healing…
because you are too full of you to forgive.
I cheat you of holiness…
because you refuse to admit when you are wrong.
I cheat you of vision…
because you’d rather look in the mirror than out a window.
I cheat you of genuine friendship…
because nobody’s going to know the real you.
I cheat you of love…
because real romance demands sacrifice.
I cheat you of greatness in heaven…
because you refuse to wash another’s feet on earth.
I cheat you of God’s glory…
because I convinced you to seek your own.
My name is Pride. I am a cheater.
You like me because you think I’m always looking out for you.
Untrue.
I’m looking to make a fool of you.
God has so much for you, I admit, but don’t worry…
If you stick with me you’ll never know.  

I’m learning to re-direct any credit given me to the One that deserves it.  God.  I want nothing--especially pride--to hinder any work that God is doing in me or through me.  I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes, my prideful pursuits truly do lead to destruction! Yet thankfully, God’s grace and mercy can overcome anything.  And as I pursue humility through His strength – it makes a way for God to pour out His blessing upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment